About a month ago I volunteered for a couple of days doing some conservation work, which was really rewarding. And it was from here that I learnt of the vacancy that I successfully filled.
After each day’s volunteering I got the sketchbook out and made the following pictures:
On this project we were removing non-native bushes in preparation for planting in native ones. In teams of two, one person cut the bush, and the other applied poison to the stump. On the first day I carried the branches away.On day two I had a go at cutting and applying the poison. We were using saws and huge ‘loppers’ to cut the bushes. For the posion we had to wear elbow length thick rubber gloves. Having all this on me I felt as though I was starring in a horror movie..!!
Later on in the day I saw an interesting black spider with hints of silver on it. I learned that this was the deadly Wolf Spider, which inspired this picture!